Friday, November 30, 2007

My first of hopefully many more

A few days before Thanksgiving break Oliver told me that he and his roommates were planning a post Thanksgiving film "festival" (i don't know if that’s actually what he called it) but that I should try to have something shot, edited and ready to show by the Monday after break.
The last time I filmed something was in 8th grade, I don't have a video camera and I didn't know how to edit. But I was into it. On Saturday November 24th I left my home in Connecticut to go to my home in Durham. I had an hour drive to the air port and then a days worth of flying ahead of me. So I started filming or I think the correct term is shooting (as Adam Shiffer once told me because there was no actual film involved) on my tiny digital canon camera.
At times during my travel in which I usually found myself bored or lonely I found myself exited and comforted by my modest but efficient camera. Thanks to the size of my camera I was able to illegally shoot the take off of my first flight (something that I have always thought to be a beautiful event). I do have to admit that the woman sitting next to me who had also heard the "please turn off all electronics for take off" announcement was not so pleased, I also have to admit that I was slightly nervous that my artistic ambitions would be the cause of the entire flights doom...oh the things we do for art.
I also added a little twist in to the project for my own enjoyment. I tried as much as possible to shoot places my eyes wouldn’t normally be looking. For example while walking down the terminal I let my camera record while I held it in my hand pointed behind me, at my feet or my luggage. Then it was a total surprise and sometimes a treat to see what had been recorded.
When I got back to Wilmington Oliver installed an editing program on my computer and gave me a fast lesson on how to use the basics. We were off; side by side we edited our individual projects. We occasionally asked for each others artistic opinions and I more than occasionally asked for technical help.

With all this being said my movie/film/whatever it should be called is nothing to right home about but I love it. I loved shooting it, editing it and the whole process of expanding my creative eye.

So thank you Oliver for encouraging me to be a part of your film "festival" and thank you to my tiny little camera.


Oh, and in the end Oliver and I were the only ones who actually completed our films.

Here it is, “HOME”, don't worry after you press play it stays black for a bit but be patient

hey oliver why is the quality so bad?


7 comments:

OliverMellan said...

nice annie, I loved your excitement. the low quality is due to the compression that google does. we could install another program for better compression...but your computer might die.

good work!

Unknown said...

forgot my password

Unknown said...

hi Annie,
Awesome stuff
keep it up
touched on a archetype for us all
love ya' tarey
see you soon

Unknown said...

hi Annie,
Awesome stuff
keep it up
touched on a archetype for us all
love ya' tarey
see you soon

tobi said...

Hi Annie,

This is really great! I will definitely show Jemma when she wakes up and my guess is she'll want to get started on her own films soon. Good timing because we just got a new program for photo AND video editing.

You are a great inspiration to Jemma and me!!

love, tobi

tobi said...

dear annie

wen i officially woke up, I watched your movie. It was great!!! I miss you even if I saw you 3 days ago. And P.S. I loved it soooo much.

P.S. My tooth is wiggly. It is one of the bottom incisors--the really pointy one.

Love Jemma

Riki said...

Annie,
Nice. Loved the way you "erased" your name in the end. You have a great eye.
riki